This page discusses the required content of a Rent Comparability Study (RCS), the qualifications of the appraiser, deadlines for submission, why a study is needed, the useful life of the RCS and the required owner’s letter that must be attached to the RCS before submission to HUD or to CA.
- Chapter 9 of the Section 8 Renewal Policy Guidebook discusses in detail the requirements of a rent comparability study.
- Each RCS must be prepared by a South Carolina Licensed Certified General Real Estate Appraiser.
- The most frequently overlooked requirement is the owner’s letter. This MUST accompany the submission of the RCS.
- For specific RCS questions, please call either Sandra Martin (803) 896-8740 or Loraine Trail (803) 896-8762.
- The RCS must be submitted to the Contract Administrator no later than 90 days after the date shown on the appraiser’s cover letter transmitting the RCS to the owner.